10/07/2014

HEALTH BENEFITS OF BEETROOTS / BEETS

Hello people, it has been a long weekend here in Nigeria and driving in Lagos these past few days has been blissful. How I wish the roads could be traffic free all the time. I have had a beautiful weekend. I was able to get out of the studio and attend an event with my good friend/ co blogger Dabs of Naija Hair Can Grow. I did cheat a little bit as I indulged in some small chops/finger food and yummy cheesecakes and doughnuts. (I could not resist). Anyway, I was going through my past posts and realized that I did not have a post on “beetroots”. How could I forget such a delicious and powerful vegetable? 

Beetroot was highly featured in my childhood. My grandfather loves it and for him, a salad is not complete without them. This is one food you can get to love as it has multi-uses. You can add it to salads, you can juice it, and some people make beetroot soup. Have not tried that yet. Even better, is the nutritional/health benefits of it? Here are some reasons why beetroots are your friend.


Research shows that beetroot can help reduce blood pressure as well as its associated risks such as heart attacks and strokes. This is because the high content of nitrates in beetroot produce a gas called nitric oxide in the blood which widens blood vessels and lowers blood pressure. (I am not surprised given its rich red colour. It always reminds me of blood)

Betacyanin, the pigment that gives beetroot its colour, is also an antioxidant. Antioxidants are believed to help reduce the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, in turn protecting artery walls and reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.

Because of its high fiber content, beetroot helps to prevent constipation and promote regularity for a healthy digestive tract.

Research shows that beetroot juice or supplementation improves muscle oxygenation during exercise, suggesting that increased dietary nitrate intake has the potential to enhance exercise tolerance during long-term endurance exercise. Thus, If you need a boost to make it through your next workout, beet juice may be your perfect antidote.

Beetroots are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium (essential for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). Beets also contain the B vitamin folate, which helps reduce the risk of birth defects.

Some new facts I discovered about beetroots during this research:

There are sugar beets which are genetically different from the regular red beets we eat and these sugar beets are white in color and commonly used for sugar extraction and sweetening manufactured foods.

The leaves found on red beets are also edible, but bitter in taste

Do you have a special beetroot recipe? Please share with us

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive